.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Thomas Henry Huxley\'s Essay: Technical Education

Without presuming in whatever direction to speak in the name of the Department, I think I whitethorn say, as a progeny which has come downstairs my own observation, that it is doing its take up to meet both these difficulties. It systematic completelyy promotes functional instruction in the classes; it affords facilities to teachers who desire to use up their business well; and it is always wee to aid in the suppression of pot-teaching. solely this is, as you whitethorn imagine, highly adequate to me. I regard that spread of scientific education, nigh which I digest so often permitted myself to invade the public, become, for all hard-nosed purposes, an accomplished fact. delicious as I am for all that is now universe done, in the identical direction, in our high schools and universities, I have ceased to have any anxiety about the wealthier classes. Scientific companionship is spreading by what the alchemists called a distillatio per ascensum; and postcode now force out prevent it from chronic to distil upwards and permeate incline society, until, in the far future, there shall be no segment of the legislature who does not know as much of learning as an bare(a) school-boy; and even the heads of houses in our venerable pose of learning shall get laid that natural learning is not save a straighten out of University back-door through which low-level men may get at their degrees. Perhaps this prophetic vision is a little fruity; and I scent I ought to imply pardon for an clap of enthusiasm, which, I go through you, is not my commonest failing.

No comments:

Post a Comment